Saturday, September 24, 2016

Balsa Wood






For this piece I started by focusing on texture by creating a mix of crumbled stock paper and wood glue on top of a piece of balsa wood. As I worked on creating a base for the piece I ended up creating for long legs out of the balsa wood, which changed my concept to scale because of the contrast in size between the large textural top piece and the skinny legs that are holding it. The top is very bulky and heavy, while the legs are very skinny and delicate. When I started this project I would never have expected this would be the final product because it is not my style of work, but I love how it turned out, the refined long legs and the textural top work together so well.











For this piece I created a very symmetric, simple geometric piece. As I worked on the piece I developed a focal point from both the front and the back of the piece by connecting the group of pins to seem as though they are coming through the wood and can be seen from the back side. I started designing this piece by using different square sized balsa wood pieces and connected them with pins, I then created a base to hold the squares together. I outlined the squares with masking tape to create unity. I placed bunches of pins on the interior of the square and then added a bunch to the other side to create a focal point that connected both sides of the piece. I had a lot of trial and error with this piece but in the end there was strong unity in the design as a whole.






For this piece I intended to show repetition through the layering of triangles made from tracing paper and white stock paper. I started by layering the triangles through a pin and connected it to a rectangular piece of balsa wood. Next, I built a square prism to hold the swinging layered triangle piece in the middle. I then cut smaller triangles and layered them onto a smaller rectangle and placed it on top, to create a layered, repeating pattern. My final solution turned out a lot different then I had planned, but through trial and error the end design created a frame of balsa wood that enclosed the hanging triangle pattern.


Process Pictures






No comments:

Post a Comment